We each have a responsibility and duty to make the environment a better place for now and for our future. This is why many industries have begun looking for different ways that are far greener than they use to be. Measures need to be implemented now so that future generations can live sustainable lives. Here are just a few different industries that have started to make changes to their businesses to reduce energy consumption and other measures.
High-rise buildings and skyscrapers still dominate many different countries and city landscapes. This causes a major problem as offices use a lot of energy and have tendencies to create paper waste. Many offices are always on the look out to go green. In a recent study 81 per cent of chief executives around the world have plans to integrate sustainability into their business. One way businesses are starting to go green is by transitioning into a paperless environment and just documenting virtually.
Another growing trend throughout business is enabling employees to have the flexibility from working from home at least once a week. Roughly around 4 million of Americans work from home at least one day a week which leads to 840 million gallons of gas not being used annually as well as taking 2 million cars off the road a year.
Big Data & Technology
The modern world revolves around computers, and they have improved the lives of many, however they are not green. According to Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, data centre on for 1.2 per cent of electricity consumption in the U.S alone. To combat this problem the technology industry is working towards developing power-supply standards that cuts energy consumption. Not just industries but businesses like PayPal ensure that there is less of a paper trail when it comes to payments. There are countless benefits when it comes to using PayPal over traditional methods including less paper waste, its fast, quick as well as incredibly safe.
In more recent years the fashion industry has been making massive changes to the way they do business. However the struggle is there is a strange disconnect between consumer concerns about sustainability to the way they actually shop. A recent study by Cotton Incorporated stated that roughly about 8 out of 10 consumers explained that they were concerned about water, quality, food safety and air quality, but less than one third of consumers did not put the effort into finding conscious clothing. Brands have started creating more green fashion by reducing textile waste, as well as producing clothing in an environmentally friendly way.
When it comes to one of the largest consumers of energy it would have to be the manufacturing industry. 70 per cent of their power consumptions are from the equipment they use, the other 30 per cent comes from heating and cooling. Manufactures all over are going green by developing new equipment that is more eco-friendly and uses less energy.